|The Historic Depot Museum|
The Dayton Depot is the oldest surviving train depot in the state. It was originally built in 1881 and designed in the Stick/Eastlake style. It has been beautifully restored and is now a museum. Revolving exhibits are featured in the upstairs gallery.
The Dayton Depot is listed on the Local, State, and National Registers of Historic Places.
Location: 222 E. Commercial Street, Dayton, Washington
Depot Museum Hours
Open Wednesday through Saturday
WINTER HOURS: (November- April) 11 - 4
Closed Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Holidays. Group and school tours welcome and encouraged! Call to make arrangements.
Intro to the Dayton Historic Depot
The structure has been altered only slightly in over 135 years of its existence. It is a two-story structure designed in the fashionable Stick/Eastlake style.
The first floor, with its original bead board walls that was typical of that era, also houses the museum shop.
The Depot Collection includes over 3000 photographs from early settlement history that document county life from 1860-1980. They are in the process of being cataloged. If you are doing research, please check with us. We may be able to help.
In addition, the Depot collects furniture from Baileysburg, Dayton's only furniture factory, memorabilia relating to local business and events, and objects and memorabilia from its Oregon Railroad and Navigation Co. and Union Pacific history. This is supplemented with clothing and artifacts from local pioneer families.
The Caboose is outside of the Dayton Depot. It is part of the Union Pacific Train that serviced Dayton.
The Depot building and grounds are a special place to hold events...including weddings, receptions, parties, etc. Inside events can be held in the Waiting Room or Ticket Office downstairs or in the upstairs gallery that has a small kitchen adjacent. The Depot balcony is a wonderful place from which to toss a wedding bouquet!
The outside courtyard is made of smooth, stamped concrete under a beautiful tree canopy and has ample room for tables and chairs. The perimeter is lined with built-in wooden benches and attractive landscaping. Adjacent to the courtyard is a lawn area that can be used separately or in conjunction with courtyard events.
The Depot is located across the alley from the Weinhard Hotel, a Victorian lodging establishment with a rooftop garden. It is a wonderful place for honeymooners.
The Depot was originally located on the west end of Dayton, and was moved to its current location in 1899. A Kiosk at the edge of the courtyard holds a display of early Depot artifacts and tells the story of the relocation of the Depot using the Capstan method. A beautiful mural painted by local artist Jackie Penner shows the Capstan method being employed.
The City of Dayton-owned parking lot adjacent to the Depot is the showcase for a restored Union Pacific Caboose that is open for tours during special events. The Caboose was donated to the Dayton Historic Depot Society in 1992 by Union Pacific Railway and restored by donation from Weaver Construction of La Grande, Oregon, general contractor for Dayton's Main Street Revitalization Project.