The Dayton Historical Depot Society is always on the lookout for interesting historical artifacts of Dayton and Columbia County.
The following list are some examples of the type of artifacts we accept. Because we have limited storage space, we are not able to accept most large pieces.
1. Photographs of Columbia County, including any community within the county. We particularly look for photos of businesses, community events and celebrations, gardens and yards, and photographs of people doing something. We want to get a glimpse into the daily life of the past of our community, and ideal photographs will make us smile or surprise us in some small way.
2. Memorabilia of Columbia County businesses, events, and people. A great variety of items is covered in this category. An item may commemorate a former mayor’s inaugural or celebrate a new fraternal organization. It might be a free item given by a business for advertising or a bill of sales from an early Dayton business. Paper items become important artifacts in this category.
3. Furniture that is reasonably documented as Baileysburg, that was made and used in Columbia County, and can be displayed or stored at the Depot. Because of limited storage space, we necessarily must be discriminating in this category.
4. Objects that were made or used in Columbia County that can be displayed or stored at the Depot that directly relate to the mission of the Depot and are essential to telling the story of the Depot. (Note: we are unable to accept most large objects due to lack of storage space.)
5. Books that contain Columbia County history or Northwest train history.
6. Train memorabilia or objects that can be stored at the Depot that are specific to railroad history of the Columbia County line.
7. Clothing that was worn by a member of the Columbia County community which is documented by photograph and/or receipt and is iconic of a particular event or era of Columbia County history.
8. Presently, we are also searching for one or two large railroad artifacts that may be left out in the weather. We would like to use these to help decorate RR Tracks Park across Second St. from the Depot.
If you have an item that you would like to donate, but you are not certain it will fit in our collection, please call us at 509-382-2026.